Akka Streams for Scala
- When October 25th - 26th at 8:00 - 12:00 PDT
- Level Intermediate - knowledge of and practical experience with Scala and Akka is recommended
- Trainer Alex Gobulev, Ph.D., Principal Consultant at Lightbend
- Cost $450 USD
Akka Streams enables the consumption of streaming data, in a fully non-blocking, asynchronous manner. It also allows us to consume that data while providing non-blocking backpressure to prevent mailbox overflows. Over these two days of hands-on coding, we will learn the components that make up the Akka Streams API and how they interact, as well as review and experiment with a broad range of different Akka Streams components. Through this, you will develop a workshop case study and produce an application based on a streaming architecture.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand the basic concepts of Akka Streams
- Know how to build linear streams using Sources, Sinks, and Flows
- Know how to implement fault tolerant streams
- Know how to introduce non-linear graph shapes into your streams
- Be confident to start using Akka Streams in production systems
Pre-requisites for attendees:
- Registrants must have access to a computer with Java 8+
- Code examples and exercises will be written in Scala, so a basic knowledge of Scala is required.
- We will leverage operations similar to those in the Scala collections API. Knowledge of the collections API is expected.
- We will need concepts from Akka Actors. A basic knowledge of Actors, Dispatchers, and Mailboxes is required.